Erratic Deutsche Bahn services make our commutes a misery. Luckily, their meaningless announcements are an art form

My favourite excuse is an expression that might one day be emblematic of contemporary Germany. I hear Deutsche Bahn wants staff to stop using it, but it can’t banish it from our minds. Verzögerungen im Betriebsablauf – “operational delays” – is meaningful and meaningless in a way that only the German language allows. One day it might even become one of those golden words co-opted into the English language – like zeitgeist or schadenfreude. (Let’s retire Blitz, a word that is jaded and overused in sport, politics and beyond.)

Verzögerungen im Betriebsablauf is the magic phrase for not getting anywhere fast while also suggesting everything is full steam ahead. It is sinister in a beautiful way. It is a phrase Kafka might use if he were writing today, a perfect description of a situation where no one can do anything but everyone is busy.

• schnokobaer@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This is such a miserable experience. The price was about the same, btw.

Tbh if it wasn’t for horrendous delays I’d still prefer a 14 hour night train over a 1.5 hour flight that in reality is usually a 5 hour test of my ability to kill time waiting. I’d rather get on at 8 pm, watch a movie, fall asleep, get up, have breakfast in the bistro car and get off at 10 am. Especially if it’s the same price. Usually night trains are considerably more expensive if you desire any kind of comfort or privacy.

• anlumo@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Breakfast is included with these Nightjets, although it’s pretty minimal (two rolls with butter and jam and a cup of coffee or tea). On the plane I got a sandwich with awful bread and a single thin slice of cheese in it.

The train is also an exercise in waiting, since there are about 4 hours before and after it’s bed time. However, it’s not so much time lost, because you have a fixed space and don’t have to move around so much like on an airport, so it’s easy to open up a laptop and get some work done.