• frostbiker@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Cars making right turns on red are a major source for both pedestrian and cyclist deaths. The driver making a right turn is focused on the incoming traffic on their left and are thus less likely to notice a cyclist or pedestrian on their right.

All the time I run into inconsiderate drivers who enter an intersection without stopping and/or creep towards pedestrians when the light is red, ignoring the danger they force upon unprotected people.

We can reduce these deaths by disallowing right turns on red, following most of the developed world.

• jivemasta@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Especially in cities with bike lanes, and frequent bike traffic.

Driving into Chicago is a nightmare for me when we go. Just getting into town and parking for the week, I feel so much anxiety looking out for bikers and trying to not be an asshole.

But then once we are parked, it’s a week of bliss with all the public transit options.

I already made up my mind that next time we go we are taking the Amtrak train from Toledo to Chicago and skipping the driving bullshit.

• lamentdecay@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Chicago is the place to be if you want to semi-enjoy public transit, at least. Though there are a ton of bicycle infrastructure woes. But even compared to the rest of the country… it’s practically a transit paradise.

• w2tpmf@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Those cyclists are supposed to stop for the red light too. I’m willing to bet a big chunk of those deaths were cyclists either blasting though the light, riding against the flow of traffic, or both.

• frostbiker@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’m willing to bet a big chunk of those deaths were cyclists either blasting though the light, riding against the flow of traffic, or both.

If you look at some real-world collision statistics, like I did because I wanted to know how I was most likely to get killed, you will find that you would have lost that bet. Your municipality probably publishes a report on those stats every few years. Look it up and learn something new.