• redhilsha@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I’m using and comfortable with Wayland, particularly Hyprland, that too on an Nvidia card.

It’s not perfect, but for me it feels way better than X.

• redhilsha@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

I currently configure Hyprland on a laptop that is not used for video editing or excessive YouTube usage or gaming or multimedia.

Interesting, could you tell me what sort of glitches you encounter when you do these in Hyprland? I’m assuming you’re an Nvidia user like me.

Most gaming issues I’ve encountered were solved by simply running all games on Gamescope…which is ironic because gamescope is used for running X programs inside a wayland container but whatevs, if it works it works.

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

Yep, Nvidia.

Kdenlive was unusable due to he UI flickering and randomly showing massive black and white bars. It was actually so bad, that it for some reason ruined my configuration and I had to re-setup it under X11 when I switched back.

YouTube video ran noticeably worse than on X11. micro lags and overall worse picture quality.

I also was not able to get OBS working. Despite everything being set up as in the instructions it did not find any screens or windows to record.

• redhilsha@lemmy.ml
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    9 months ago

I also was not able to get OBS working. Despite everything being set up as in the instructions it did not find any screens or windows to record.

I actually did! I managed to get discord screenshare to work too, all in Hyprland.

I actually planned to write a post detailing it out.

• Gentoo1337@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I don’t know why but you comment reminded me that I haven’t updated in a week 💀

I use gentoo on a laptop so I have 4 makeopts jobs only.

• technologicalcaveman@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Ow. I didn’t use gentoo until I had good enough hardware that updates wouldn’t take 2 days to finish. I used arch or freebsd when I only had a laptop available.

• Gentoo1337@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Surprisingly, it only takes a couple of minutes. Except if I have to update firefox or nodejs or clang or llvm or gcc, those take 4 hour minimum and it’s worse when they all have to update at the same time. It’s spring where I live and I don’t want to know what will happen to my laptop when i try to update on summer.

• gronjo45@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I want to get better at using TUIs and all the lot of lighter-weight software, but I’ve quite frankly been too stupid to learn it.

I downloaded Gentoo onto an old Chromebook with the Mr Chromebox script. Currently am trying to make it into a sandbox for me to learn more about how init systems, compilers, and other lower level OS details.

Other than reading the Wikis, are there any projects that you’d suggest to increase one’s ability in those realms? Thanks!

• technologicalcaveman@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Really what got me to learn to use the terminal more was downloading systems without tons of gui apps. Most base systems will be like that. In general my only gui apps are a file browser, web browser, and audio tools. Debian, arch, gentoo, nix. Avoid stuff like mint or endeavour if you want to force yourself into learning the terminal. The more you use it, the better you’ll get. Using gui apps isn’t bad, sometimes it just works better for specific actions. But knowing how to use the terminal helps for when nothing else works.