• infinitevalence@discuss.online
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Man I got lucky with 3d printing and self hosting. As long as I am not trying to buy new hardware and upgrade every month the cost of filament and time is small enough to not impact my family.

That and home construction projects, strangely enough no one bats and eye at a $250 chainsaw, but I go and spend $80 on a used GPU and people flip the fuck out about being irresponsible.

Tools are cool AF and if you use them on a project or two its easy to justify to other people. Yes i need a table saw, yes I need a mitre saw, yes I need a router, clearly I need this full set of battery tools…

• DoomsdaySprocket@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

How do you get people to not bat an eye at the chainsaw?

I’m still biding my time after the m18 hackzall until I’m allowed to go back to the tool store. Then I’ll be able to run around my backyard like a space marine with dangerous power tools, like the adult I am.

• infinitevalence@discuss.online
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

its been a crazy year for trees falling in my area. I had a neighbor who lost 5 trees in one storm, we lost 2 so far this year and had some big branches come down too.

Its $$$ for the chainsaw but it costs less than what we would have paid for the tree people to take care of it.