• MouseWithBeer@iusearchlinux.fyi
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The American is how it is supposed to be.

The British one has the “color” changed changed to “colour” due to British spelling of color.

The Spanish one has an upside down semi colon because in Spanish you write questions like this: ¿Is this an example question?

The French one is because the French number system makes absolutely no sense and to say 99 you have to say quatre-vingt-dix-neuf (meaning 4 x 20 + 19).

I hope this helps somehow.

• nintendiator@feddit.cl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

The American is how it is supposed to be.

The British one has the “color” changed

[citation needed]

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I mean in code. Not sure how many programming languages are gonna accept “colour”. Or maybe they do and I am wrong, tbf I never thought about it till now.

When it actually comes to the English language that’s a different story.

• nintendiator@feddit.cl
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I don’t know any language where “colo[u]r” is a keyword, or a lexer-level entity tbh, so I’m not sure there would be any difference. Anywhere you can name a variable “color”, you can name it “colour”. C++ allows you to explicitly make one an alias to the other, for example.

That said, I’ve seen a number of BBCode parsers need to take both “[color=”] and “[colour=]”. Really, we need code and programming languages in general to be less American. It’s 2023 already and in many programming languages I have to name my accounting variables “ano” (butthole) instead of “año” (year).

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

The image mentions British so I just mentioned Birtish. I am not American or even a native English speaker so don’t come at me. Also I hope the Czechoslovakia part is a joke.

Your comment double posted btw.

• AlternActive@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

French being french. They have no word for ninety for example, it’s four-twenty-ten. Not bullshitting you.

As in Four (times) twenty (plus) 10.