• VentraSqwal@links.dartboard.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I only have the same issue with Mastadon that I do with Lemmy, I have no idea what instance to join. This one I’m apart of now for Lemmy I randomly joined when the admin said he’d accept reddit refugees who wanted to try out Lemmy.

If anyone has any suggestions for good instances to pick I’d give Mastadon a try. Otherwise, it’s a nightmare for people like me (who’s been compared to Chidi from The Good Place in terms of my overthinking and decision making).

• gedaliyah@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Instance is like ISP. It’s an important part of the infrastructure, and in principle it does matter, but for 90% of cases it doesn’t make much difference.

Unpopular opinion I know. But lots of people who would love Mastodon never sign up because there is such unreasonable emphasis on choosing an instance. Just pick a large stable one, then you can switch if you want later once you get to know the platform.

• Popster@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Regarding lemmy, some instances like lemmygrad, hexbear and in part lemmy.ml are quite against free speech, often removing comments from other instances in threads that are… Politically charged. I would definitely avoid those but can’t see much difference between the rest