I mainly use imgur to upload screenshots using sharex, would appreciate being pointed in the direction of any alternative.

• idle@158436977.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Imgur announced recently they are going to be purging images that haven’t been viewed for x amount of time.

• coldblade2000@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Haven’t they always, though? Pretty sure since the beginning it purged anything that hasn’t been viewed for something like 6 months or so. That’s why you got a lot of dead links in old Reddit (or others) posts

• Jadey@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t think so, I’ve never had this happen in the few cases where I revisited an imgur url after years of not visiting it

• Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If you’re just shitposting dank memes, having the pictures deleted after a while shouldn’t be a big problem. If you’re posting something a bit more valuable, consider keeping the pictures on flickr or even pixelfed.

• parlaptie@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Is pixelfed really a good way to prevent dead links? I don’t know much about it other than that it’s part of the fediverse, so I’d assume any pictures hosted there last only as long as the instance they’re posted to.

• parlaptie@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I suppose you’re right, though that’s quite involved when all I want is to host an image.

• Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Using flickr or google would be a lighter option. If you put some pictures in a place like that, they are probably going to stay there, but the TOS does leave a very convenient backdoor open. If flickr messes up a database migration, or the datacenter gets hit by a meteor one day, and all of your photos disappear, you can’t hold them accountable. Every option has some issues…

• bouncing@partizle.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you aren’t using it for archival purposes. I would prefer not everything I post live forever.

• StateParkMasturbator@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

While I’d agree for identifying pictures, image hosting that suddenly doesn’t one day becomes a huge problem for a lot of old tutorial-based content. Look at any old car forum for examples.

• SkepticElliptic@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I was thinking about this problem recently after I got an email from photobucket that I was over the new limit of photos. I think a more appropriate place to host tutorial content would be on GitHub.

• Zoop@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I had heard about them deleting images uploaded without an account, and the nsfw purge stuff, but I hadn’t heard about this. Thank you so much! I’ll have to make extra sure that everything I’ve uploaded on my account over the years is for sure backed up elsewhere.

Do you know if this is already happening, or is there a date in the future that it’ll start? Most of my uploads are private and I’m too busy to get all of it manually downloaded right this moment (if it’s even still there!) Crud!

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!