EndeavourOS is moving to KDE Plasma for its live environment and offline installer from Xfce. You’ll hear no complaints from me!

• smoothbrain coldtakes@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

It’s not great on Nvidia. KDE’s dev team have announced a big Plasma update, specifically focused on Wayland support to be released around February.

I have a 3090 and some stuff works, some stuff doesn’t. I am forced to use it because X will lock refresh rates to the rate of the lowest monitor, so my 165hz screens were not being used to their fullest until I swapped over to Wayland which supports multiple monitor refresh rates.

Often I will find system components freezing up. The task bar, for example, will often stop being useable and freeze up. I have had the digital clock widget freeze up on me, which requires a relog to fix. It also doesn’t totally work on transparent themes, rendering them without the translucency.

• russjr08@outpost.zeuslink.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The task bar, for example, will often stop being useable and freeze up. I have had the digital clock widget freeze up on me, which requires a relog to fix.

Thankfully this has been tracked down, and will be fixed for Plasma 6. If you run into it, you can hit Alt+F2 and run kwin_wayland --replace which will restart the shell.

If you go into edit mode, and edit the task bar widget that shows your running applications, disable the option that shows window previews upon hovering over the application. Apparently that is the thing that causes the renderer to fail on non Intel GPU systems. Here’s the bug report that goes over the whole history if you’re interested.

Definitely feel you on the overall Nvidia Wayland KDE issues. I really wish I was in a position to be able to pickup an AMD GPU.

• Flaky@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

There’s still weird bugs with Plasma Wayland unrelated to GPUs too. For whatever reason, dragging a file from a notification (e.g. Spectacle when a screenshot is saved) to Discord will make the shell just quit and restart…