I recently saw Good Omens (Not Discworld, but still a Terry Pratchett adaptation) and I really enjoyed it.

I was wondering what you think the best Discworld adaptations are? I saw some trailers but most of them didn’t look that great to me… But I’d love to give some a chance if there are any recommendations?

• RandomChain@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I’ve translated the subtitles for Troll Bridge for a screening at a local scifi/fantasy con, and I’ve watched it so many time while working on it so it’s pretty much engraved in my mind. So I guess that’s my favorite.

From the Sky adaptations, Going Postal and Hogfather are quite good and fun to watch. I guess they didn’t have a huge budget so it can look a little cheap in some parts, but the script and acting make up for it (also Going Postal has Claire Foy who is amazing). Colour of Magic is… fine, but not as good. Maybe because it’s based on an earlier book. But something feels off with that one.

I never liked the Cosgrove Hall animated movies. They’re ugly and surprisingly boring even though they take a lot of the dialog directly from the books.

(not Discworld, but) Johnny and the Bomb mini series is also nice. Not as deep as the book but a fun kids movie. Shame they didn’t do the other two.

• Hileak@vlemmy.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks for the suggestions!

Going to watch Troll Bridge this week. Going Postal and Hogfather are still on my to-read list, so I’m going to hold off on those until I’ve read them.

• H3L1X@lemmy.mlM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I did not know there was a Johnny and the bomb adaptation. Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I will have to go check that out!