Moving to Linux soon, and wondering how pirated games work with it. I know about proton with steam and lutris for most bought games, but how would I run pirated windows games over there?

• TCB13@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Yeah sure and then it fails because some WINE compatibility issue or because you’ve to manually install half of Windows on Wine manually before being able to install anything useful.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Ahahaha. I’ve tried them all, bare bones wine, bottles even the payed version of crossover and the thing is that they’re all a fucking joke. Don’t be delusional you know as well as I do those things don’t provide a good experience nor a good result.

• rush@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

oh what are you saying? The largely volunteer-developed reimplementation of the entirety of the Windows / WIn32 API is not perfect? If only I had known!!1

Seriously, of course Wine is not perfect, but your dependency issues are largely minimised when using something like Bottles, which manages them for you. And saying that Wine never delivers a result is factually incorrect, even when just looking at compatibility rating for games, not even accounting for other software.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Bottles is not that much better. Crossover (payed) does a much better job but still it’s funny to see how ReactOS that is 100% “volunteer-developed and a reimplementation of the entirety of the Windows API” performs much better with older Windows applications. I believe they even share code with Wine.

• Astaroth@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

assuming that you’re running WINE through the terminal you’ll see if there’s any error and usually it’s pretty simple to find what you need to make the game run (if it doesn’t already)

for starters get all the gst/gstreamer packages including the plugin ones (libav, good/bad/ugly, etc.) and make sure to have both 64 and 32bit versions.

get wine-mono (or directly install .net runtimes in your wineprefix, easily done with winetricks) and wine-gecko.

after that you basically just get whatever .dll or vcrun stuff as needed (following error messages), most easily done through winetricks

I will admit though, while using Linux Mint (instead of Arch Linux which I use on my home PC) at a relative’s house I had some trouble at first because a) apt package manager sucks, b) the names of the packages were different, and c) wine-mono and wine-gecko packages didn’t exist so I had to follow these instructions https://wiki.winehq.org/Mono & https://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko

also just like how protondb is a really good resource to look up how well games will run on steam proton and tips on how to run them, there’s https://appdb.winehq.org/

• TCB13@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I wasn’t saying it can be done, thing is the time and effort to make it work is way too much… and the end result tends to be poor. A Windows license costs close to nothing to most people (comes with computers, can be bought for 10$ in some places, pirated etc) and things work out of the box as expected, better ROI. Even if you’ve to virtualize and/or dual boot still easier.

• Astaroth@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I wasn’t saying it can be done, thing is the time and effort to make it work is way too much…

If you think it’s too much time and effort for you, that’s fair enough.

I obviously don’t think it is or I wouldn’t do it. Also something to note is it gets easier and faster with time as you have more things already installed and thus more games run out of the box, as well as just having the experience and know-how of what to do.

and the end result tends to be poor.

I’m not having poor end results compared to when I were using Windows, so that’s just a you thing.

Only real notable fault for linux gaming is online multiplayer games with anti-cheat, and luckily for me I don’t play those anyway.

Well one thing that hasn’t been working that comes to mind is Frosty Tool Suite, a mod manager for Frostbite engine games, so I was unable to replay Dragon Age Inquisition with new mods on Linux.

That however isn’t a game itself but a 3rd party mod manager, and technically I could get it too work by either using a NTFS formatted hard drive or some other tricks, but it seemed too much of a pain to deal with so I’ve left that on the back-burner.