• PeutMieuxFaire@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It is because of rumors about Windows starting to implement this type of measures that I moved to Ubuntu… That was shortly before Windows Vista came out, back in 2006.
    I never went back again, except briefly on an air-gaped machine under 7 to play Skyrim and Grim Dawn.

• unsophisticated@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

In other words, you switched out of fear of restrictions that still haven’t manifested nearly two decades later

• bioemerl@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

They haven’t? Yesterday my computer updated without my permission and started popping up a screen that nags me about how I need to switch to an online Microsoft account in order to continue to use the operating system.

A few weeks ago I tried to disable Windows updates using a test scheduler job and despite being an administrator and going through the command line it told me I do not have the permission to do this.

The restrictions are here and they’re getting worse.

• rastilin@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Absolutely, with TPM chips now being a requirement to install Windows, it’s only a matter of time until DRM becomes a mandatory low-level part of the OS.

• okawari@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I swapped to Linux for similar reasons many years ago. The initial idea was to hedge and get familiar with it so I had peace of mind. I ended up staying in the Linux sphere for most of my devices , except for my music production machine that still run windows.