Passkey is some sort of specific unique key to a device allowing to use a pin on a device instead of the password. But which won’t work on another device.

Now I don’t know if that key can be stolen or not, or if it’s really more secure or not, as people have really unsecure pins.

• atzanteol@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

That’s a terrible take … He’s confusing “what it does and how it works” with “how you manage it”.

It’s like saying “don’t call it a password if you write it down”. It’s confusing and unhelpful.

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

No it’s literally in the spec. Passkeys are designed for cross device synchronization. You have to go out of your way to make it local only (or use a different webauthn spec like physical security keys)

• atzanteol@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

They’re just private keys. By nature you can copy them wherever you want. I guess I don’t know why he’s making that distinction at all.

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

The original spec is resident keys including TPM protected or hardware token protected keys designed to be impossible to copy. That’s why there’s a distinction.