Passkey is some sort of specific unique key to a device allowing to use a pin on a device instead of the password. But which won’t work on another device.

Now I don’t know if that key can be stolen or not, or if it’s really more secure or not, as people have really unsecure pins.

• Companion1666@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

You can use Yubico keys as your passwordless logins. Both Google and Microsoft have this option.

• russjr08@outpost.zeuslink.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Strangely enough, Google lets me “add” my Yubikey as a passkey, but then does not let me sign in with it due to it not being “recognized”. If I remove it as a passkey, and only use it as a 2FA token, attempt to sign in and use the “Enter your password” option, it will then let me use the key after I’ve entered my password as a second factor.

So it seems Google has removed the error (or its not triggering anymore) as they will have been one of the first sites I tried to create a passkey for, but it still does not let you use it as a passkey.

• Companion1666@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I haven’t encountered this issue, yet. I’m using LibreWolf browser (v118.0) and tested logging in my Google and MS account passwordless. BTW, I have Yubico Security Key NFC (the blue one).