• NotAPenguin@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

And they shed even more microplastics into the environment because they’re heavier so the tires wear down faster :(

• drewdarko@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

This is an obvious bad faith argument.

“Let’s keep burning fossil fuels as we go extinct from climate change cause I’m worried about the 0.00001% micro plastics that MIGHT be shed from an EV”

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

There’s no might, tires shed microplastic particles and EVs wear out their tires faster, that’s two facts.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

No, they just heavily implied it lol

The whole point of the microplastics/lithium/whatever else argument is to muddy the water and make people confused about just how much better EVs are than ICE vehicles. It’s the only reason it’s even a thing that people talk about. It’s exclusively bad faith, because it was designed that way by fossil fuel interests.

• Elivey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Uhh, you say .00001% that MIGHT? I think you mean: nearly twice as much because EV’s go through tires nearly twice as fast, and ABSOLUTELY ARE. Microplastics are shed from tires, I don’t know what makes you think they aren’t. All that tire tread that is now gone on your tires when they go “bald” didn’t just disappear, they shed into the air and the rain washes them down into streams.

Also fun fact, EV tire particles are even more toxic than regular tires. And regular tire particles are already one of the most toxic microplastics studied.

I work in a nano particle toxicology lab that has a pretty big focus on micro and nanoplaatics.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Respectfully, no one gives a fuck. Greenhouse gases are so much more important than microplastics, it’s not even a comparison.

• Elivey@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Just because you’re ignorant of one of the most pressing pollution issues we are currently facing doesn’t mean it’s not important.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

I am very aware. It is not even in the same ballpark. The only reason it’s brought up is (intentionally or not) to muddy the waters.

I support working to mitigate the issue. I understand it is a problem. I in no way support bringing it up as a point against EVs in a thread filled with disinfo and propaganda.

• Elivey@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

You said some made up small number that you thought might be shedding off of tires. You’re clearly not aware at all.

Telling you facts about EV pollution issues is not disinformation, it’s quite literally the opposite.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  9 months ago

I said no one gives a fuck. It’s like trying to repair a minor leak when there’s a giant gaping hole in the ship. Diverting resources to it is actively harming us.