• @saltnotsugar@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    87 months ago

I’d watch a TV show where a “witch” outsmarts a group of pilgrims each week using the majesty of physics and chemistry.

• qyron
    link
    fedilink
    07 months ago

This is even more painful when we stop to consider the enlightned ones behind those accusations didn’t do it at all but instead acted based on mere superstition.

But now that I think about it…

• Discoslugs
      link
      fedilink
      17 months ago

Really witch hunting was much more about fuedalism turing into capitalism through the destruction of the commons. They did this by removing the “wiches” who often lived on common land. Witches often provided aid to the community which basically got in the way of feudal lords increasing their control over their serfs.

So they had to go…

• qyron
        link
        fedilink
        27 months ago

Strange how things differ from one nation to the next.

My country wasn’t especially strong regarding witch hunting, being more concerned with “crimes” of heresy.

Even today, the figures of the wise men and women are somewhat romantic/misterious figures of folklore.

• qyron
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            7 months ago

The Iberian Peninsula was never big on witch hunts.

The Inquisition wasn’t that much welcome here (yes, I know who Torquemada was) and, again, when it acted it was more about persecuting heretics, mostly new converts from the resident jewish and moorish populations.

• @Kornblumenratte@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        17 months ago

At least in my region, this is false.

• No one lived on common land – it was far to precious to waste it as living space.
        • Witch hunts were a town thing, not a rural thing, so feudal lords and serfs were not involved. It was mostly town councils and citicens.
        • The men and women accused of witchery were avarage citizens, nobody special. (We still have the protocols of the trials)
        • The accusations were brought forward not by feudal lords or any other ruling class, but by neighbours and relatives.
        • Most state rulers tried to restrict witch hunts, as they were aware that they were based on superstition and were detrimental to the economy of their countries.