• StopMassDownvotingYouIdiot@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

OP tryna karma farm by boosting the fuck out of their posts when they’re new posts (from any account), so that they make it near the top of the hot section and then they downvote the top few posts so that theirs gets pushed even further, seen them doing it a bunch of times. What a loser lmao.

• Netto Hikari@social.fossware.space
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

“Karma farming” isn’t even possible on Lemmy. There’s literally no total of up- and downvotes displayed anywhere. And having a meme artificially pushed to the top without reason seems to be nonsensical to me.

• StopMassDownvotingYouIdiot@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

It’s a kbin account, we have reputation points here, similar to Reddit karma. Even if they post to a lemmy community from kbin, upvotes and boosts will give them karma

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

There was no point to it on Reddit either but that obviously did not stop people.

• Netto Hikari@social.fossware.space
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah, it always baffled me. At least with memes, etc. It makes sense with political content, for example. But memes? Those internet points must really trigger the dopamine.

• orclev@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Someone coming from reddit that doesn’t understand how lemmy works? Will it be a self correcting problem once they realize there’s absolutely nothing to be gained by shilling posts? Will be interesting to see how this plays out. On a related note, does anyone know if you block a user are their votes still included in the totals you see for posts and comments?

• sadreality@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I saw similar patterns in politics for news articles about politicians. I assumed it was also a shill op