I’ve just installed ProtonVPN on my Deck but it won’t connect and tbh I don’t want to touch anything in the console/tinker with that…how can I still use ProtonVPN?

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Unfortunately Proton has very limited support for Linux.

If you installed via the Discover Store, you probably installed the old, unofficial Flatpak version that hasn’t been updated in over a year.

Proton actually JUST released a new “stable” Linux client. Here is the link with instructions to install via the Arch repository: https://protonvpn.com/support/official-linux-client-arch/

Unfortunately you DO have to use the terminal to install it.

Alternatively you can do what I did and buy a gl.inet router which comes with OpenWRT pre-installed and it’s an absolute breeze to get a VPN managing traffic on your router directly across your entire network and not having to fuck with that shitty Linux client ever again.

• sanpo@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Yes. That’s all the ProtonVPN is. A WireGuard connection. Additional fancy UI is unnecessary.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Weird because most everyone else expects a client from which to configure said connections as needed without downloading and uploading a thousand configurations every time a server is retired.