A new housing development outside Phoenix is looking towards European cities for inspiration and shutting out the cars. So far residents love it - The Guardian

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Great to see, except Phoenix is not going to be livable fairly soon due to climate change. This project needs to be done in the Midwest.

• fireweed@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Where in the Midwest? Much of the Mississippi River region is predicted to have some really nasty wet bulb temps. But areas around the Great Lakes (maybe not Chicago) sound like a safe bet. But yeah, when I first heard of this project I was shocked they put it in Tempe of all places.

• LibertyLizard@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I’m not sure there’s much evidence to support this claim. It certainly will be extremely hot but probably not more than some of the hottest cities on earth today. For example, the average temperature in Kuwait City is 10 degrees hotter than Phoenix in July, and people have found a way to live there. People will likely adapt, though it definitely will have an impact on walkability during those hot months.

• LibertyLizard@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Maybe but the amount of water needed to sustain human life is quite low. If water is prioritized for human use over agriculture and non-functional landscaping there should be enough. Right now much of it goes to non-essential things.

• DarthBueller@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

People in Phoenix treat their grass like they treat their guns, you can take their grass from their cold dead hands. There’s no reason there should be year-round mosquitoes in a desert city.

• Franzia@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

At least it’s not Kuwait. 🤓 Development in Arizona, I think, isn’t happening to meet a demand but rather being funded by eccentric people and being met with a government with less taxes and regulations.