A new housing development outside Phoenix is looking towards European cities for inspiration and shutting out the cars. So far residents love it - The Guardian

• Franzia@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I just wanna add that walkable, while always advocated as a dense “15 minutes city” I hope doesn’t always have to be. There are examples of less dense walkable places, too. A little village with a market to one side, perhaps? “Walkable” exactly refers to a design pattern focused on pedestrian safety and pedestrian-scaled development. Aaaand that could exclude density, at the cost of population size.

• Tar_Alcaran@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Check out some random Dutch suburbs. For example, a neighbourhood in what is generally regarded as a shit city: https://maps.app.goo.gl/UYSB2iLeEbvPea4G6

No high rise construction, single family homes, 15 min walk from the supermarket (or 3 by bike), even less to a school (9 min walk if you make an effort to pick a bad spot), and hardly anyone lives by a big road and most places can be reached without ever crossing one.

And this is a city that is generally regarded as crappy, soulless and awful to the point that it’s a meme. (Lelystad is the Almere of Flevoland ;) )

• Franzia@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Omg I thought it was just gonna look like my town but with bike lanes. No, your worst city is really creative actually. This is so quiet and safe, contrary to anything I’ve ever seen in America.

• Tar_Alcaran@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Right, how about biking 3 minutes to the store? Make it 6 there and 2 back due to the height difference. Not every trip is 30+ minutes to work.

• Gabu@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

São Paulo is pretty much as hilly as you can get, beset by mounts on all sides but one. People still bike, here.

• Gabu@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

I’ll give you that, biking long distances is reserved for when you can bathe afterwards. Thankfully, you rarely need to bike long distances.

• DarthBueller@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

They’re coming down in price, many places offer subsidies to get one, and there are puncture-resistant tires that do wonders. That said, I also live too far from work to bike, because I can’t afford to live where I work.