If I wanted to make a USB desk fan from a spare CPU fan (input: 12V, 0.15A), could I just solder a resistor to the positive lead of the USB wire? I plan on getting an adjustable voltage booster, but I was curious if this was possible. I think I would need a 13 ohm resistor for USB 3.0.

• empireOfLove@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

So, the USB power spec is a little weird.

Officially, all unnegotiated power devices must operate in low power mode (5v 150mA) unless they talk to the host controller. Unofficially, depending on which docs you read and from some experimentation I’ve done, most devices can usually do 5v 500mA right off the power rail before the host controller will complain and shut it off.

Now, to get a voltage other than 5v to run your 12v fan, you either need a block that is quickcharge2 compliant, which is a Qualcomm standard of 5v, 9v or 12v for class A; or USB Power Delivery, which allows voltages of 5v, 9v, 15v, and 20v.

The issue with both of these is that they require smart negotiation. A chip in your device has to talk to the host controller and tell it what it can support. So it’s not as simple as simply adding a resistor. If you do some googling, there are existing breakout boards for messing with USBPD from companies like Adafruit that could be worth playing with. You’d need a 1-watt resistor of 20ohms to drop your 15v supply down to 12v at 150mA current though.

The better option that you already mentioned would be to use a boost converter to turn 5v into 12v. Per ohm’s law P=VxI, 150mA at 12v would need about 360mA at 5v, more like 400-450 after converter inefficiency. Which basic USB can provide (500mA max)

• human_no_4815162342
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

12v is not mandatory in the latest PD standard but it is still allowed and many PSUs implement it. I got a few inexpensive USB C connectors wich negotiate 12V out of compatible blocks specifically to convert to PD 12v devices like my shaver.

• empireOfLove@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I try to shy away from recommending anything that’s not explicitly called out in a standard for that reason… quite a lot of chargers or PC motherboards do support both QC and USB-PD, but many also don’t, and you’ll always land on the wrong side of Murphy’s Law trying to rely on manufacturers supporting both.

• human_no_4815162342
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

That’s not what I was saying, PD included 12v up to 2.0 (I am going from memory) so it’s not multi standard support but retrocompatibility from modern PD to the older version

Edit: I checked and the requirement was removed from rev 1 to rev 2 so now it’s optional

• sweafa
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

usually fans have a min start voltage. u can try if your fan starts at 5v and if the resulting RPM is ok for you, just solder it without any resistor on USB

• sexy_peach@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have made this but with a couple of batteries in series, it works fine so why wouldn’t it with 5v USB power.