• div@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Also funny how it is ignored by our representatives, they are more involved with a bs culture war, instead of busting up monopolies, rooting out companies who are blatantly gouging consumers and creating policies that actually help the people they represent.

• can@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

If people didn’t get so involved in how others live their lives we wouldn’t need a culture war.

Also, did you deselect undetermined as a language in your profile settings? I can’t reply unless I set this to English.

• green_light_stop@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It’s actually pretty shocking. It seems so normal to struggle to buy a house, yet most of the last generation have one. It’s going to be a rude awakening for society as this trend continues. At some point the older generation is going to pass on and free up houses. What is that even going to look like? Are they going to be jacked up too? It’s just not sustainable if you project it out. There has to be a tipping point. People need homes and renting is so limiting.

• Switorik@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s hard even with two peoples job money.

Wages have been stagnant for far too long and I don’t see change happening soon.

• TheThirdStrike@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

20 years ago I bought my first house on half my current salary…

I’m currently looking to get into the market again, and I don’t know that I could even buy that same house back.

• Jordan Lund@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Gen X here, yeah, I feel your pain. I didn’t have the cash to buy a home until I was over 50 and that was only because I was able to WFH for 3 years and not spend money on gas/parking/eating out.

Now I have a mortgage (death pledge) that will outlive me!

• DreamerOfImprobableDreams@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

This was only ever true for white men for a narrow window from like 1945 to 1960, and only because they were being massively subsidized by the GI bill. Black people were cut out of the GI Bill, so they never were able to afford homes, and women weren’t even allowed to take out mortgages in their own name.

• Martineski@lemmy.fmhy.mlOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Nah, it deleted on time, it’s just that I was sitting on lemmy when you commented so I read it before you deleted it. Unless you deleted it instantly after commenting then yeah, there was a bit of delay.

Edit: when you check time of our comments then you will see that I commented the same minute as you.