link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Did either of them give historical context to why Palestinians are blaming Israel and not Hamas in this instance? Did either of them address the creeping territorial seizure of Arab land? Did they give any mourning to the many more Palestinian civilian deaths both in this acute conflict, or in the past decades? (reminder there has been roughly 10x the number of Palestinian civilian deaths from Israeli forces than there has Israelis by Palestinian groups).

The way they spoke made it seem like this attack just manifested out of thin-air and that Israel is innocent.

That neither Capehart nor Brooks who raised their own race/ethnicity could relate to confining people into slums and ghettos, and imposing economic blockades as they victim-blame them for the number of civilian deaths is to me as shocking as it is ironic.

• Cosmic Cleric@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

There’s so much emotion in your response that I’m lothe to reply, but at the very least, did you honestly expect them to have to hash out the whole history of the region every time they’re on air?

At some point I think it’s okay to assume that people know the basics of what happened before, and that they’re discussing the latest events that are going on.

• iquanyin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

to briefly outline the full picture would take five minutes, maybe ten. just an yes, it’s perfectly realistic. i’d say most of the viewers have only a hazy idea of the origins, if that.theres no reason to skip a brief history of this. zero.

• Cosmic Cleric@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

to briefly outline the full picture would take five minutes

Their segment on the show is ten minutes already, without the exposition that you want. You’re not being realistic.