• Cosmic Cleric@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Yes, the carpet bombing campaign has been Israeli troops going into Gaza. Oh wait, no it hasn’t they have been amassing reservists at the border.

You don’t see the carpet bombing as a step one and step two, which is coming very soon, is Israel actually going into Gaza with force, with all those reservists they called up?

• Sparking@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yes, but I don’t understand how carpet bombing protects them or helps them rescue hostages. They will still be in grave danger if they enter gaza, perhaps even more danger in this environment. It’s hard to pick out any military doctrine that suggests otherwise. This has been a repeated criticism of this type of military activity, across campaigns all over the world and recent history. I supposed you could compare it to allied bombing of axis forces, but I would argue that those campaigns were carried out as part of a much more stringently determined military strategy, rather than as a per reactionary action.

• Cosmic Cleric@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

They will still be in grave danger if they enter gaza, perhaps even more danger in this environment.

The opposite, actually. There would be less places for Hamas to attack/sniper from, and easier to see the battlefield and all the participants in it.

• Sparking@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Yes, I can acknowledge the tactical logic of it. But this strategy hasn’t played out very well in just about every modern conflict ever.