Hey guys!

I have recently joined the selfhosting world after many years of thinking about it. Currently running casaOS with an assortment of containers. Mainly use nextcloud, paperlessNGX, and general file storage.

I am thinking of creating a proxmox cluster. Just wanted to ask for those who do. Is it worth it? And what services are you guys running?

I was thinking of using it for NAS, and a window VM and run other random things that I don’t know yet.

Looking into grabbing some Lenovo M715q. Found a decent deal.

Thank you all in advance.

• JawnDoh@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Basic functionality is probably good for most people. I believe the biggest limit I hit was for the resources. Believe it was 8 vCore /8GB RAM on a single VM. Most of the other vSphere/vSAN and orchestrator stuff is probably beyond home lab needs

• snapsofnature@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I picked up some systems with 16gb each and it’s a Ryzen 5 2400. I think it should be good for my needs… hopefully.

• JawnDoh@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh I was saying with the free mode of esxi there are limits placed on the VM resources, not the host. It can be a bit of a pain to get the updates and patches if you don’t pay for the license though. If you get a enterprise server (dell r730 etc) then you’d be able to get the custom dell package from their site for updates but it’s a pain lol

Depending on what you are trying to run those should be an okay start

• snapsofnature@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Ah ok. I’ll cross that bridge if I ever get there. This is just more to tinker and it’ll be a glorified file server in the end of the day…haha

But just wanted to learn it and see where it goes l.