• Stamets@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Wouldn’t have it any other way. Seriously. She’d be a bad Captain otherwise. Anyone who strictly follows the rules without considering the situation they’re in is someone who shouldn’t be the Captain of a starship, especially when you’re exploring through space. I mean there is only one ‘main’ Starfleet Captain that we’ve followed across the series who hasn’t violated the Prime Directive and that’s Captain Freeman from Lower Decks. Well and Archer but that’s a free pass considering the Prime Directive/General Order One didn’t even exist at that point.

• fitz@linkopath.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

But I guess the line is: don’t consume interdenominational space creatures and use their life force to help skip decades off the journey.

• MajorHavoc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I would argue that’s still a soft boundary - one she had to think about. Janeway’s real line she won’t cross is promoting Ensign Kim. /s

• EmpathicVagrant@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I want to see Ensign Kim in one of the new series, talking back and salty but unmovable. Just too valuable as an Ensign, Harry.

• MajorHavoc@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Yes!

I would love to hear Garret Wang’s catch-phrase “Your favorite forever-ensign” in his voice in an episode of Lower Decks.

• EmpathicVagrant@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

I haven’t hit lower decks yet but I’m excited! I got a trial of paramount and I’m binging discovery rn though so I’m on the way!

• Carlo@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m reminded of the old aphorism that would crop up occasionally in the military, particularly when discussing hypothetical scenarios w/r/t The Law of Land Warfareand rules of engagement: it’s better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. I’m not endorsing this sentiment; it’s kind of repellent, really. Same energy though, I thought.

• TheDrunkard@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I think Captain Janeway was probably thinking that they had a narrow chance of ever making it back home alive if they didn’t violate the rules a little here and there.

• dejected_warp_core@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Also: “I’ll be long dead before Starfleet makes it’s way back here, if ever.”

Then there’s the consideration that warp-capable societies are criss-crossing the entire quadrant without a care for “cultural contamination” and whatnot. Heck, they already have a Borg problem - there are bigger problems to solve.

• M500@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

My wife will love this. She always points out when the prime directive is violated.

• M500@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I count my blessings every day.

One day I had on voyager as we were falling asleep. It was after seven had joined. Tom Paris asked something and she asked me, what did he say?

I was tempted to tease here, but I just answered the question and keep watching.

She ended up loving it she watched it from there onward then started over from aeason 1 and watched it again.

She liked sevens character a lot, so we watched Picard as she is in it. Then she liked data so I showed her an episode of season 3 tng and she loved it too especially worf.

At this point she is missing ds9 and ent. She is knowledgeable about tos but does not care for animation so only half watches lower decks.

I just got to the worf part of ds9, so I’m hoping I will get her hooked again.

Sometimes when we are bored, she will suggest playing a game to see who can name more alien races😂😂

I’m very lucky to share interest with her.

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

I’m happy for you … but no, my wife is pretty set on never watching any more Star Trek. She did watch TOS as a kid and she said it excited her but she never got into TNG in the 90s or any of the other shows. I think she sees it as a remnant of her childhood or teenage years and she doesn’t like going back there any more. Now we’re too old to change ideas or preferences … I know, I know, we can … it’s just not as easy as it was when we were younger.

I just watch shows on my own when I can. Mildly liked first season of Picard because the stories revolve around violence, war and conflict … I liked it and I enjoyed seeing Patrick Stewart again but it was the variety of stories and ideas that I enjoyed in TNG. I like my action shoot em up movies … I don’t think I like it as much in Star Trek.

I’m on the second season of LD and the show is hilarious. The more I watch it the more I feel that this is what it would look like if four young Trekkies who grew up on Star Trek went to Star fleet, were top students and got stationed on the same ship. Really love the show because it’s fun and reminiscent of TNG.

I’m looking forward to watching the other new shows too.