Hamas has called on Palestinians to stay in their homes after Israel issued sweeping evacuation orders for almost half of Gaza’s more than 2.3 million people ahead of an expected ground offensive.

The Hamas authority for refugee affairs today told residents in the north of the territory to “remain steadfast in your homes and to stand firm in the face of this disgusting psychological war waged by the occupation”.

• blazera@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

On their own? Of course not. It’s a lesson we’ve learned before, aggressor states have to be addressed internationally. But currently, the aggressor state is the one being supported internationally. I dont think the people of Israel are like Russia, I think even just pausing aid on the condition that they stop the occupation of Palestinian territory would get them on board. Theyve created a humanitarian nightmare that needs addressing, that can be addressed with international help.

• sailingbythelee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I don’t think Israel is an aggressor state at all. Don’t forget that Israel has withdrawn from Palestinian territory before, and the result is always more attacks. That’s also why Israel still occupies the Golan Heights. Israel has always said that it will trade occupied territory for security guarantees, which no one can give as long as Hamas and Hezbollah are in charge and singularly bent on the destruction of Israel.

But, here we are, going down the same old tired narrative. All of this has been said and tried for decades. It’s a frustrating quagmire for a reason. It’s time for realpolitik, not another ideological crusade to gain justice for the Palestinian people. The Palestinians need to move on and be supported by the international community to do so. I know that isn’t satisfying or fair, but I don’t think that a good solution exists.

• blazera@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

They should move on without food, water, or power?

Israel is blockading any humanitarian support for Gaza.