Could it be that the processor sends data from the camera/microphone to the Qualcomm/Mediatek servers, bypassing the system? Is it possible to find out about this by checking the traffic leaving the device? Are there any studies that have done this? If this happens, then even GrapheneOS becomes largely meaningless.

• tuxed@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Yes, its possible to check. Data has to be sent through some connection, and we are able to monitor all traffic going through connections we control. Its not happening on wifi and not on 4G/etc. So unless there is some other connection that is not a real issue.

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

doubt

I think it would be way easier get data from preinstalled apps. It wouldn’t make any sense to bug devices at a hardware level as that would involve a ton of work for a small minority of people who use custom Roms.

I am a little concerned about cell towers getting my location all the the time but that isn’t the same thing as a hardware backdoor.

• FarLine99@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

In general I think the same. Too difficult to implement and easy to detect. I wonder if there are studies on this topic)

• The Doctor@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

The thing about the hardware (radios, in particular) built into Android devices is that, by and large they’re SDRs. They must load firmware blobs for even basic operation. It wouldn’t be too difficult to backdoor that because there are no public tools for writing or debugging the firmware, and it wouldn’t surprise me if some of the better firmware was written in straight assembly (for that radio’s microcontroller).

That said, it’s far easier to implement surveillance attacks from the application level. Much better return on time spent for the attacker, too.

• FarLine99@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Agree. It’s much simpler. But there are still many people who use custom roms, which means that tracking at the hardware level may appear over time.