I do like large gatherings, but I don’t really do well meeting people and making friends in them. I find it too chaotic and difficult to “be myself” with so many people. I also feel there tends to be more shallow conversation in these settings making it great for banter and social energy but less great for connecting and getting to know new folks.

I am looking to meet new people to be friends, as in capital F friend, not just a random person I know. Someone who wants to hit me up and go do something fun, check in on me and see how I’m doing, etc.

How do you go about meeting people and finding social settings that foster deeper connections?

• kozel@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago
    1. Find your local facebook group. (Or some alternative to this.)
    2. Make a group chat with description like “let’s go for a walk together time to time, to make new friendships”. Hopefully a lot of people shall join the group, most of them as lurkers.
    3. Write there st like “Let’s go for a short walk this evening, start at [time, place]”. Hopefully somebody shall come and they will be a cool person.

Somebody did this a few months ago in my student dorms’ group. Since then, we’ve been meeting ~1 a week. Allways a bit different group, everyone knows that everyone is here to make friendships, so the ices are broken. The group tends to be small-ish, as it’s called usually few hours in advance. The feeling is very good. And I have one person from there, with who we’re getting to be good friends.