I do like large gatherings, but I don’t really do well meeting people and making friends in them. I find it too chaotic and difficult to “be myself” with so many people. I also feel there tends to be more shallow conversation in these settings making it great for banter and social energy but less great for connecting and getting to know new folks.

I am looking to meet new people to be friends, as in capital F friend, not just a random person I know. Someone who wants to hit me up and go do something fun, check in on me and see how I’m doing, etc.

How do you go about meeting people and finding social settings that foster deeper connections?

• That’s totally fine 😊 In my group, there’s a small handful who are really into games and buy everything. They pick up lots of games from Etsy and Kickstarter that no one’s heard of before and teach us how to play. Last week it was Wizard Kittens which took maybe 5 minutes to learn.

The most important thing though when trying to make friends is accepting failure. Instead of automatically dismissing it, just try it out and see whether or not it’s worth your time. Even if you find out it’s not for you, there may be someone there who can direct you towards a different hobby.