• whofearsthenight@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Absolutely have to love all of the people on mastodon especially being like “but this makes the fediverse bigger what can go wrong” takes.

• Melpomene@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I was unsure at first, but given the history of big names killing federated projects, well. I’d rather not risk it.

• atocci@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think it’s a valid take to have. If it makes it possible to follow more people from my Mastodon account who I want to follow, that seems like a good thing. I won’t be making an account there, but I think I’d like to at least have the option to follow the people who do.

• Rhodin@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The MO for large companies who use open standards like this is to use the sheer gravitational pull of their ad dollars to get most people to sign up on ActivityPub, then change their own code just enough to break the experience for anyone trying to read their content from any other instance website or app.

• atocci@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

If that happens, won’t we just be back to how things are now? People like you and me who are already here probably won’t be making accounts on Threads, it will be pulling in new people who wouldn’t have joined the fediverse otherwise. If they break something in their implementation of ActivityPub, we’ll just be separated from them again which doesn’t seem different from the current situation. The open source ActivityPub protocol we all currently rely on cant be taken away, so the independent instances we’re already using should be fine too.

• atocci@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I might be missing your point since I never used it, but looking around their website and reading Wikipedia, it doesn’t look like a dead standard. Looking from the outside in, it seems like Google adopted the protocol and brought a lot of new users with them, and when they dropped it in 2013, they took those users with them again.

It does feel very similar to ActivityPub today, but in a way that seems to support the point I was making. Correct me if im wrong, but it seems the people using XMPP through Google Talk signed up to use a Google service, while those who joined through independent providers did it for XMPP itself. Even with Google gone, it looks like those other providers continue to function and the protocol remains relevant to the people who want to use it, similar to ActivityPub right now.

• exohuman@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

It’s basically in zombie mode right now. Most of the users left except for those on WhatsApp.