• Go-On-A-Steam-Train@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s me! :) I made an account on Lemmy out of general interest in foss projects, and am now a resident. :) The only thing I have noticed so far is more civil conversations and a much less stable app compared to boost (currently Jerboa crashes whenever I press back).

I batch-nuked my Reddit history, comments and posts, but kept my account open so that it doesn’t get necromanced by Reddit and I lose control of it. I can’t say I miss it at all - occasionally I’ve got curious about the odd thing and looked, but it’s surprised me. :)

• goji@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah for me, the only draw back to reddit is in its history. There is a wealth of knowledge in those archives, and when I’m looking for balanced and useful answers from actual people (without affiliate links or bot-generated seo bs, or being “marked as duplicate” of another post with 13yr out of date answers lol) it was the best source for the longest time.

Used to be, anyway.

We’ll get there, we just haven’t had the time yet.

When I do open an r/ link that answers my question now, I’m doing it with their tracking, “features” & ads fully locked & blocked, then dipping right back out again. They really ruined a good thing.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

They really have - it was a huge place that felt like a community, with no-nonsense access to knowledge and creativity. It’s a real pity how it’s gone down. I hope there’s a shift towards human efforts like Lemmy and Mastodon :)

• GreenDot 💚@le.fduck.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same here. There are few other apps than Jeroba (Click for lemmy, Liftoff, WefWef) that you could give a go.

But, if you give it time, and especially as “early” adopters of the fediverse, it will only grow and get better.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thank you! I’ll give those a look, as I love trying different programs out! :) Especially when you can see them building and growing, I find that so cool.

Boost was my gold-standard for reddit, so I’m looking forward to that moving to Lemmy :)

• GuyDudeman@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, I’m really only ever going back to Reddit for comic book movie news and /r/motorsportsreplays because there isn’t a good sub on Lemmy for that yet.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s the same with Pro Wrestling! There’s a couple of small subs, but SquaredCircle has all the news in a tidy place