• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve read way better articles on the subject.

• LordChaos82
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I once suggested in feature request that it would be great if an open source app that shall not be named added access to a particular site. My request was immediately denied because the FOSS app owner did not agree with that site’s politics. That is the day I realized that even the FOSS world is not beyond playing politics with their products and are not very different in these terms to the closed source apps that I escaped from.

• shrugal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

People in FOSS are still regular people with opinions and biases. The difference is that you can fork the code and remove the restriction yourself, or ask someone else to do it for you.

• LordChaos82
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Thanks for the suggestion but I was raising the exact point that it becomes difficult to remove beliefs and politics in any forum whether Fediverse or otherwise.

• shrugal@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

In the Fediverse it’s both harder and easier to get rid of believes you don’t agree with. You can ban them from your own instance or join one that agrees with you, but not remove them from the network entirely.

Your freedom to choose is the same as everybody else’s freedom to choose. If you want to get rid of those believes for good then I’m afraid you’ll have to convince people the old fashioned way.