If you own a CD copy of Tool’s 1993 debut album Undertow, then you’ve likely seen the photographs in the liner notes, and may already be familiar with the dark story of one of the models. If not, keep reading to learn about Laurie Ann Arden.

Be warned that the story contains some graphic content.

• ǟɦɨʍֆǟ ɮʝօʀռ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

It can be troubling to see how dark humanity can get. People aren’t born this way, they are molded by their own choices, actions and inactions and those of others.

• Salamendacious@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I agree to a degree but there are people who are truly evil. In that they are unable to feel empathy and are violently sadistic. The two don’t necessarily go hand in hand but when they do, innocent people invariably get hurt

• ǟɦɨʍֆǟ ɮʝօʀռ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

We are all born with good and evil in us. The wolf that gets fed by us individually and as a society usually wins. Light can beat dark every time but it requires effort, abandoning ego and practicing compassion and empathy. These can be difficult for some to practice for a variety of reasons. 🤘🏻✌🏻

• Salamendacious@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

That’s a little too metaphorically or metaphysical for me. There are people who are incapable of feeling empathy. Some of them have violent sadistic tendencies. I don’t think therapy or a nurturing environment would change that. When I talk about evil I don’t mean it in terms of the embodiment of malevolence.