• SubArcticTundra@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’m interested in STEM (I very much have an engineers brain) but I’d like to avoid the office lifestyle and constant stress that you mentioned. Do you have any recommendations about what I shoukd look into?

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I work in municipal development and our civil engineers get to do a fair amount of site inspections.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

As an engineer, you’re gonna be stressed a lot. But you have a wide range of what kind of stress you get and how much time you spend in an office. I’m industrial and I spend some days on my feet building shit, some days sitting in front of a spreadsheet until my soul hurts, and most days doing a bit of this and a bit of that with good balance of sitting and standing.

• Rodeo@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

CNC machining and particularly programming. Be careful, there are lots of boring jobs out there (mostly labeled “operator”, and lower paid), but if you can get a programming position they’re pretty cushy. It’s in a shop, but also on a computer, since you have to set up the machine too (usually, again it depends on the company).