Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia has benefited from waiting to reveal where he stands as the swing vote in a chamber closely divided between Democrats and Republicans.

He’s taken the same approach when it comes to the next phase of his political career: The moderate Democrat has teased possible retirement, a run for reelection to the Senate or even a presidential campaign in 2024 — possibly as an independent candidate.

During a multi-day trip to West Virginia’s capital this week, the 76-year-old expressed growing frustration with the polarized U.S. two-party system.

• TransplantedSconie@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

There are three things that are the problem:

1: Citizens United

2: Past the Post

3: Apathy in far to many voters who literally could care less but are the first to bitch about the outcomes.

Fix the first two and you right the ship.

Fix the last one and finally fix the propeller and the rudder.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Fix the first two and the last one will go away. People are only apathetic because companies own politicians and tons of voters in solid districts don’t make a difference.

• TransplantedSconie@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

The last one I blame on civics not being taught in school, and I’m 100% positive thats by design (looking at you GQP)

Kids in high school need to have a full blown class on their government starting freshman year till they graduate, so they learn how government is supposed to function and their roll in maintaining it. That would fix so much that is wrong in this country.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

I took AP Civics in high school, and participated in a mock legislature at our state capitol for four years. The way our government works is absolutely nothing like what I learned.