For my phone, I use Graphene OS. What would be the best desktop Linux option to match the level of security and privacy that GOS provides?

• Shareni@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Chinese distros have backdoors for the Chinese government, intel and amd processors have backdoors for the US government

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I don’t know of any specific proof, but just look at Deepin’s EULA. You need to accept that pretty much all data that could be gathered will be gathered, even data like daily log in times. Stuff like that makes me believe stories that the CCP is forcing companies to add backdoors. Especially when you consider that Chinese hackers are analyzing and publishing findings on NSA Linux backdoors, and releasing new backdoor malware every few months.

• Michael Rose@emacs.ch
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

@CjkOvPDwQW China is a repressive surveillance state with a keen interest in spying on their own people who has conducted incredibly broad state sponsored industrial espionage.

Draw your own conclusions on whether such products are safe.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Read up on the intel management engine. It’s an extra chip that was included in pretty much every intel CPU since 2008. It’s got pretty scary potential, but no alphabet agency has yet declassified their info on it (think CIA denying any involvement in shipping and selling heroin, but then declassifying documents that proved they shipped heroin in coffins and bodies of dead soldiers).

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

You’re pretty deep in the tinfoil hat zone now. CPU proprietary black box does not mean the NSA are trying to infiltrate your broken arch setup so they can let their FBI lizard agents steal ur hentai.