Russia has destroyed almost 300,000 metric tons of grain since July in attacks on Ukraine’s port facilities and on ships, the Ukrainian government said on Friday, underscoring the war’s threat to global food security.

In summer, Moscow quit a U.N.-brokered deal that had allowed exports of Ukrainian grain through the Black Sea safely. Since then, Russian forces have hit six civilian ships and 150 port and grain facilities during 17 attacks, destroying crops headed for export, Deputy Prime Minister Oleksandr Kubrakov said in a statement.

“This is Russia’s attempt to deepen the food crisis in the countries which depend on Ukrainian products,” Kubrakov said.

• Selmafudd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I actually don’t know, I work in the industry but in containerised freight not bulk. Last I looked something like 60% of bulk carriers fly Chinese flags but that could be anything like coal or ore etc not specificly grain. I’d be amazed if every bulk carrier in the region was flying Ukrainian flags unless the main shipping lines won’t service Ukraine and they’re all state owned vessels