cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/6669422

A new housing development outside Phoenix is looking towards European cities for inspiration and shutting out the cars. So far residents love it - The Guardian

• imgprojts@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

You can walk in my neighborhood… downhill for about 2 weeks a year. Here in Kenmore WA, the rest of the year is certain death if you leave the house on foot. You would become a human popsicle most of the year. Then after you walk for literally 45 minutes you get to jack in the box and that’s the end of your travels. Are you going to walk back home? Uphill and in freezing weather? And that’s the way we combat homelessness here. They literally can’t ever set up camp…you either. You’re pretty much trapped inside an insulated box with a running tap on the gas pipeline grid. If that infrastructure dies, you are as good as dead too. The air handler is running the entire year. Winter for heating, then the two weeks I mentioned for cooling. Plus, outside your house is basically fungus eating everything…you car, your tires, dead wood, live wood. The roof. Everything is coated in a thick slimy mold layer.

What was the question again?

• Damage@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

What was the question again?

Why are you living in a place that doesn’t support human life? And did people live there before electricity and gas?

• imgprojts@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I believe people migrated here via Buffalo, then they had a party during the two weeks of sun. They ate the buffalo and then started to rain again endlessly and realized they were stuck here forever. But they probably found salmon very tasty so they just stayed here. Until the car and airplane, everyone here were just born here in place. :) that’s my made up story.

• imgprojts@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

You know I’m here against my will. The wife finds this hell pit “central”. LOL. The moon is pretty central. You can see every city from up there.

• travysh@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

https://www.walkscore.com/WA/

I’m right there with you. Well, a bit worse, rocking a 20 for walkability. On a few occasions I have decided to take my life in to my own hands, walking the 1 mile alongside the cars which seem to have confused the 40 mph road with a drag strip.

The sweet reward for doing so? Nothing but the finest of dining options. From Subway to McDonald’s to Taco Time, we’ve got it all!

• imgprojts@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Taco time? You lucky dog! I got Jacky n the box down a 1 mile downhill. You can go there. That’s it. You can go there faster on a bike. Then just live there, there’s no point in coming back.

• Uranium3006@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

The climate of Kenmore is substantially similar to that of nearby Seattle, being defined principally by its latitude, proximity to the Pacific Ocean and Puget Sound, and inclusion in the Puget Sound Convergence Zone. As such, it is usually considered Marine west coast in nature, with damp, cool winters, and mild, dry summers

Sounds nice. I’d have expected you to complain about rain if anything

• imgprojts@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It does rain. It’s not like a nice shower with sunshine at the end. It’s more like just moist all the time with periods of wetter moisture.

• imgprojts@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

That sounds lovely. I hope I get my own shopping cart. That reminds me…it used to be so cool to watch people collecting bottles at the park every weekend. My cousin’s grandpa would get this huge bag filled by all the kids. And all the grandpas and homeless would challenge each other to go get all the cans. The hobos had proper hobo vehicles… Walmart carta, home Depot carts…Smart’n Final anyone? Target 🎯 ofcourse was probably the best. Man, if you had a cart you had it done in San Diego. You just find some cardboard and you got a motor home without the motor.

But it’s too late for us. Now if you’re homeless you can’t even get a cart. They got the dang locking wheel thing.