• bencreighton@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s cool, a new social media thing needs delusional people like you at first, otherwise it will never build up the critical mass of users it needs to actually get good. (:

• DrQuint@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

There’s a video that shows exactly this phenomenon in real time.

https://youtu.be/fW8amMCVAJQ

The most important people are the first followers. A website with a guy commenting alone is sad for the guy. A website with a couple people commenting is sad for whoever’s not talking.

• abcd@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thanks for sharing! Can’t remember seeing this before. Was a really nice watch!

Also I absolutely expected to see Rick Astley thanks to Reddit… 😂

• Strangian@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I like the small feel Lemmy has right now, it feels more connected. I’m sure it’ll continue to grow and I’ll like that too, but I’m perfectly content with what we have now

• Jasbris@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For the smaller communities that came over, like my local city sub, I already like it more. I’m sure the toxicity will return, but for now it’s very nice.

• Tenthrow@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think it’s nice to be able to have a small conversation without your comment being buried so deep no one will ever see it if you didn’t make it to the post in the first 5 minutes.

• Lotradhome@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I agree. Eventually there will come the weird little internet dramas that are cringy but for now it’s chill and nice.

• Jasbris@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

And most importantly, I can read comments for news to get a read on other people’s opinions, etc.

• ChocoboRocket@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

It’s nice having a place where people can (fake) argue about beans and insignificant things, post fire memes, and do some classic old Internet banter.

It feels like I’m at an early 2000’s Lan party, and the worst person you’d come across is helpful, but kind of a dick about it.

Hopefully it stays that way, the relative lack of structure is pretty magical since almost everyone seems to be genuine about using this place to be hilarious.

Every time there is a dig>reddit>lemmy progression, the beginning phase is generally the same (awesome) tone and atmosphere.

It’s the same community people who made the original sites popular who ready to move after the old place gets overrun by special interest nonsense/monetization/engagement algorithms, and users who don’t actually care about dialog /engagement in favor of blasting loaded opinions.

It’s barely been a week and the spirit of message boards that everyone loved about reddit has already rooted in Lemmy. Real people trying to make each other laugh, or sharing something because it’s neat and brings others joy - I’d happily pay for a subscription to keep this place in its current culture.

Reddit has been past it’s prime for several years now for a lot of people who were missing exactly what is happening here.

• Fu@theres.life
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

@ChocoboRocket there’s certainly advantages to free and federated ferated networks. its literally impossible for such actors to ruin the 'verse. There only choice is attempt to make it irrelevant, like Google did with XMPP. I guesd that’s one reason went so many fedizens are weary of Facebook’s THREADS coming here.

• Jasbris@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Just post some neat things about your hometown in your local sub and see if activities grow 😁

• bencreighton@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s cool, a new social media thing needs delusional people like you at first, otherwise it will never build up the critical mass of users it needs to actually get good. (:

• Something_Complex@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Beasides that’s pretty stupid.

First of all you have to search by new, or new comment…

Second, you can’t be just in your instance, just switch from local to all and it won’t be a page with the same poasts.

• AlternActive@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

How dare you use logic?

Average reddit user: “This text is always the same, and i’ve read it 10 times already”

Us: It’s a book, tried flipping the page? Also there’s many other books.

• Moghul@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think this guy is saying that you didn’t correctly set your language settings in your profile which is why you’re not seeing comments. If you just selected english you might miss out on a lot of comments with no language set. You should have both English and Undetermined, plus anything else you can read selected. Hold ctrl while clicking to multiselect.