As the title says, I landed my first role a month ago and still can’t believe I am being paid to write code. It’s been a hobby forever and I fancied upskilling and it actually happened.

I am a relative fuck up and I guess a late bloomer.

• FredericChopin@vlemmy.netOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hey thanks for the detailed response. Sorry for delay.

Just wanted to address the timescale issue. This project is due in October so I’m sure in his head he has timeframes for when he will jump back on to it.

I guess I’ll try and set my own timeframes just for peace of mind and practice.

One thing that does concern me is I get directions for new components with very little details. I’ll go away and do what I think is required then he comes back and is like yeah not like that, but gives praise for working with little direction and then extends in it.

I can’t work out if it’s to see how I do, or getting all the logic tied up then it’s easier to make changes or something else.

I guess I expected a lot more mentorship given that I was hired as a junior with no commercial experience.

Terrified that at the 3 month probation end that they’ll can me due to all the refactors, but the logical side of my brain says no, but the anxious guy is yelling at me.

• mcherm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Honestly, from what you are saying it sounds as if you have a fairly GOOD boss who just isn’t giving you the level of support that you need as a brand new developer. My advice would be to say that to him something like this: “Boss, I understand you are busy and have a lot of other things requiring your attention, and you have been very understanding when I’ve tried to operate with little direction. But I am feeling that as a relatively new developer I need a bit more mentoring and direction. Are there any assignments where I could pair up closely with another developer and do the work together? I think that after one or two assignments like that I would be much more effective.”