I’ve done just about everything and I’m just about to take on Lavos.

I started playing Chrono Trigger+ because of all the posts I saw on r/sbcgaming. Seeing as how it’s my fav game of all time, I decided to play it again (guesstimating for the 9th time since playing it as a kid).

My notes on my experience this time around.

• so amazing to be able to take screenshots, like a modern console
  • the menu system still holds up. swapping people out of your party and moving items between party members is very smooth (some of these older games are REALLY bad)
  • I did some fast forwarding to speed up battles. The live battle system makes this a little challenging sometimes
  • the music in Zeal still slaps
  • CT+ has a bar/cafe area in the End of Time not in the original game
  • graphics still look amazing like they did back in the day.
  • Garrathian@dmv.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I played this on DS in college about a decade ago. To this day it’s one of the very few JRPGs that I feel absolutely nailed the pacing. Every other JRPG, as much as I enjoy the genre overall can really drag in that department and start feeling tedious at certain points in the game.

• ricecooker@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The RP2? Yea, I’ve been thinking about getting a RP3+ for the bigger screen and rounded edges, but not sure about the portability. I already love the Android experience on this device so I know it will carry over. Also considering the Flip but IMO, I don’t think it looks as cool as the RP3.

• turbodrooler@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t love the RP3 because it doesn’t seem to be that much bigger — I’m talking about in the hand — and also I prefer not to have a 16:9/10 screen. I just want to play SNES RPGs without hand cramps and eye strain. One day my dream handheld will come…

• nieceandtows@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I just started playing it yesterday. I’m still at that fair with the bell. Btw, are there any romantic plot lines in the story? I’m asking because I named one girl after my wife and one after my daughter. I don’t want things to get awkward later on

• AzPsycho@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Agreed. I got it on Android during Covid and couldn’t put it down. The game has held up well. I was in a retro jrpg kick for a bit and also picked up Dragon Quest V and felt that DQV didn’t age well.

• Syboxez@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’n not a huge fan of CT+ compared to vanilla. The writing for the new content just doesn’t hold a candle to vanilla IMO.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

played the other versions; the only reason I played the game again was because someone mentioned this ROM hack. It was alright

• TSG_Asmodeus (he, him)@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My son recently started playing, and I realised I only knew the names of half the characters, because I changed their names to my high-school friends.

It stands as one of my five favourite games of all time, and I’m an FPS-focused person.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Well, the main character’s name is Crono, like the name of the game. The frog is named Frog. The robot is Robo. The rest you will have to memorize!

• vaguerant@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Years ago, I tried to max out everybody’s stats by New Game+ing over and over to collect the 10 or so Tabs you find across the entire game to increase stats by one point at a time. I was not successful. I think I made it through three or four NG+ cycles, though.

• InverseParallax@voyager.lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

During quarantine I got to ozzys castle, but I think flea handed me my ass.

Need to go back, I’m way underleveled and undergeared, I was just being very casual and it was on my phone. That being said it’s one of the few games that has its potentially best release on phones, though I used a controller which helped.

• GFGJewbacca@ag.batlord.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Damn, you’re making me want to take my DS version out and start playing again. When I emulated it, I was at a point where I had unlocked every ending and beat Spekio in his final form.

• Crono@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Has Chrono Trigger+ gotten consistent updates? Remember it being quite unpolished back when I tried it out.

• ramble81@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Once you finish it, be sure to go back and do a New Game+. There are 13 different endings you can get as a result. There are a few guides you can search for but the nice thing is you can do them all in one NG+ run if you do them in order, they all depend on where in the story you are when you go to fight Lavos. Have fun!

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Never played that, is that like a mod? Can I run it on an emulator or PC version? Would like to play on my Steam Deck

• AzPsycho@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Agreed. I got it on Android during Covid and couldn’t put it down. The game has held up well. I was in a retro jrpg kick for a bit and also picked up Dragon Quest V and felt that DQV didn’t age well.

• AzPsycho@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Dragon Quest V is considered one of the great older jrpgs. It looks great on mobile and plays fantastic but the storyline is severely lacking.