Hi all! I defended my Ph.D. thesis back in 2019 and I also served as the creator and moderator for the subreddit r/FluidMechanics for a long time. I think with that I have gathered enough experience and courage to answer some of your queries. Some broad topics that I can answer questions on are:

• computation fluid mechanics
  • scientific programming and HPC
  • nonlinear shallow water equations
  • statistical description of turbulence: spectra, energy budget etc.
  • experimental methods: PIV
  • stratified turbulence
  • academia
  • navigating your career pre- and post-Ph.D.

Ask away!

• elevenant
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hi and thanks for doing an AMA! Is fluid dynamics always about solving the Navier-Stokes equation or are there other models as well? I think I remember some article from years ago on progress to analytical solutions of Navier-Stokes. What is the situation there?

• jadelordOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You’re welcome 😀

Navier Stokes is the most common model for most phenomena when the fluid can be assumed to be a continuum. But when

• it involves particles / multiphase flows / phase change / chemical reactions, extra equations are needed
      • in microsccopic regime (small devices like a DNA sequencing machine) / rarefied regime (hypersonic fluids) the fluid molecules are too far apart, so it is no longer a continuum. Other models like Molecular dynamics or Monte Carlo methods or Lattice Boltzmann methods work best here.
      • in highly turbulent flows, you can’t simulate the full Navier Stokes due to limitations in computational resources. Then some turbulence modelling is needed to mimic diffusion at small scales.