• errer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Did you miss the whole “you could test listen to the CD in the shop” part?

• schmidtster@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Nope, not every place had the money to burn on a cd in a jukebox from every artist. Also standing there for 45 minutes to listen to the entire thing? Who actually does that?

• TropicalDingdong@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Also standing there for 45 minutes to listen to the entire thing? Who actually does that?

Me. It was me. I was 14. I listened to the whole thing. I think the name of the store was “The Warehouse” and maybe another was called “Good Guys”? But yeah. Both. I’d take the bus to the mall and sit on that raggedy ass carpet that smelled like a movie theater floor and listened to the whole damn album. All of them actually (usually like 6-8 per station?) until the manager told me to leave. A couple times clerks would hook me up with burned demos.

But yeah. It was me.

• explodicle@local106.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

You’re not wrong, but there were definitely people who spent tons of time listening to music at the record store.

• schmidtster@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I guess, I was thinking of strictly purchasing. Yeah some people do just go and hang out and chill instead.

• Franconian_Nomad@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

There were actual listening stations with headphones here in Germany at certain media chains. Some people spent whole afternoons in there.

But yeah, the opposite did exist. I remember, when I was a teenager friends got a dozen or more CDs for their birthday. Good old 1998.