• dolle@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

So much this! I don’t use Spotify, I buy all my music on Bandcamp. Sometimes I buy an album after just hearing the first song because I find it interesting, but then after a few more listens I realize that the album is not what I thought it was. However, I’m already committed because I paid for it, and it now sits at the top of my collection, so I continue to listen to it. Sometimes it turns out I find qualities in the music that I didn’t notice at the first listen, and I learn to like it. Sometimes not, and I ditch it.

This was also the way I discovered music before Spotify even existed, I just never changed my habits (I just used other services than Bandcamp back then). I think more people should try turning off the algorithmic entertainment faucet that is Spotify and try committing a bit more to the music that they listen to. Also, a lot more money goes to the artists this way, Spotify is basically stealing from the artists.

• spiderman@ani.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

I buy all my music on Bandcamp.

How much have you spent on buying albums in Bandcamp? It must be a lot if Bandcamp is the your only choice for listening to music.

• dolle@feddit.dk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I have 170 albums in my Bandcamp collection. I have a lot more on my mp3 collection which I have bought via other means. Each album is maybe $10 on average, so that is around $1700. I have used Bandcamp for around 8 years after 7digital closed their EU store and eMusic became trash. So that’s around $17 per month. Not a lot of money in my book, music means a lot to me!

• spiderman@ani.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Okay, that’s a large collection. I am more interested to buy vinyl these days but they are too expensive here.