• CancerMancer@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

The part of the discussion you’re missing is that our governments have been sabotaging health care for decades in an attempt to bring back the political will needed to reestablish private health care. You Americans have had a similar experience with your public education: some of your governments are pushing for “education vouchers” rather than public schooling. Who is driving both of these pushes? As usual, you just need to follow the money.

• random65837@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I would NEVER willingly use govt healthcare if I had a choice, the US has ALWAYS had govt healthcare which has let our veterans down for decades, and poor and low income people alwmost as long.

On school vouchers, I’m 100% for having a choice of where (my) money gets spent on my kids education. Im fortunate to have a great public school system where I am, but that wasn’t the case for me growing up, shithole inner city schools that failed us all. A voucher system then could have put me in a better school of my parents choice, which existed 3mi from mine, and I would have been assigned there, if I literally lived on the other side of my street.

Our local govts dont want vouchers, because it takes from the teachers unions, which dont like being held accountable for doing thier jobs.

• CancerMancer@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You know the way the funding system is designed is more-or-less destined to cause this exact effect, right? Struggling schools get less money, which leads to more struggling. The inner-city schools failing is by design.