Planning to go to London for a few days and was wondering is it worth spending time seeing Stonehenge. While it is one of the wonders, London is full of activities and got stuck in a limbo… Is it worth it? Thanks!

• frazorth@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Stonehenge is not in London, so I can only assume you are visiting from another country?

It’s about a two hour drive, doesn’t have good transport links, and while it and the visitor centre are interesting, I wouldn’t go there if I was visiting London as you’ll miss a lot of what the area has to offer. If you are only in London for a couple of days, why not concentrate on that because there is so much in London. A four hour drive for a bunch of stones is a harder sell.

Make a dedicated trip towards the south west on a second occasion and you won’t regret it.

Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, carry on in that direction and you’ll have Bath, Glastonbury, Wookey Hole, further still and you’ll have Lyme Regis, then Dartmore and Dartmouth. Amazing places that deserve a full day each.

• TedZanzibar@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah this. It’s also been fenced off since 1977 so you can only view it from a distance. Stop by if you’re in that area, sure, but don’t take an entire day out of your trip for it. You won’t be stuck for things to do in London for a few days.

• Sheltac@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I go to Stonehenge all the time and I absolutely love it.

Do not go during tourist season. It’s an absolute nightmare.

• rubikcuber@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Someone with more recent experience can probably answer better. But I went a good number of years ago, only because I was driving to Bournemouth and it was ok the way (sort of). It was BUSY and both inspiring and disappointing. Would I go again? Maybe, but probably not at the height of tourist season. Also it’s about 100 miles from London, so it will take a good chunk of your day. I think you’d need to be in London for 5 days to a week to justify the day trip. But, that’s just me!

• KumaLumaJuma@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Agree with the others, it totally depends but if you’re not driving I wouldn’t recommend it. Pain to get to!!!

Hope you enjoy your trip to London though :)