Edit: obligatory explanation (thanks mods for squaring me away)…

What you see via the UI isn’t “all that exists”. Unlike Reddit, where everything is a black box, there are a lot more eyeballs who can see “under the hood”. Any instance admin, proper or rogue, gets a ton of information that users won’t normally see. The attached example demonstrates that while users will only see upvote/downvote tallies, admins can see who actually performed those actions.

Edit: To clarify, not just YOUR instance admin gets this info. This is ANY instance admin across the Fediverse.

• Earl Turlet@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

People might have to stand behind their opinions if they choose to voice them. The horror!

(Although the user/account is still basically anonymous 🤷‍♂️)

• brave_lemmywinks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

There’s a reason nobody has to publicly announce who their voting for in democratic countries, and that there’s no mechanism to check that. People can be grouped, ostracized, persecuted, canceled, or worse.

• DogMuffins
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Not all votes are private in this way, and we’re not exactly voting for a new prime minister / president.

• Bazoogle@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

You don’t publicly announce it, but the government still knows it’s you who voted. Except in this case the site is open source. Knowing who voted is the only way to prevent vote manipulation.

• bitbybit@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

In the US, all elections are done by secret ballot. The govt can see that you voted, but not who you voted for

• Bazoogle@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

Okay, yea, that does make sense. I was thinking of electronic votes, in which case there wasn’t much stopping them from storing that data. But you can get a paper ballet where your name isn’t on it. Regardless, actual voting isn’t a good analogy. You can change your vote on an internet forum, you cannot with a ballet.

Let’s say on lemmy, up or down vote, it reported “Bazoogle has voted” and simply adds a number to the variable without my name tied to it. If I wanted to undo my vote, it wouldn’t know whether to subtract an up vote or down vote unless it knew which one I did in the first place. The only other option would be to try and encrypt the username with some sort of identifier that can’t easily be decrypted. Which might be possible, but is beyond my current knowledge of cybersecurity.

• sauerkraus@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

It’s as simple as sharing vote counts but not individual identifiers between instances. Problem solved.

A user doesn’t even have to comment to be doxxed by publicly viewable upvotes. They upvote a post in a community for their local state, then upvote a post about how to get an abortion. The state subpoenas the instance admin and gets their IP and email address.

• sauerkraus@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

With Reddit that data could be kept between the users and admins.

I do not have any insider knowledge regarding whether Reddit has received requests for user data.

• Bazoogle@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

You were saying in the example of the government requesting the data. That’s not any different for reddit or Lemmy. If anything, it would be harder to get from Lemmy since it’s decentralized. And reddit is known to comply with government warrants.

• Earl Turlet@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

No one is forcing anyone to upvote or downvote. There’s not even karma or anything here. If people don’t want others to know how they feel, then they shouldn’t say anything, no matter what form the speech takes.

• XiELEd@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

This is an issue of privacy, though. There is a reason why people dislike google or their neighbour having access to their information, however mundane.