Edit: obligatory explanation (thanks mods for squaring me away)…

What you see via the UI isn’t “all that exists”. Unlike Reddit, where everything is a black box, there are a lot more eyeballs who can see “under the hood”. Any instance admin, proper or rogue, gets a ton of information that users won’t normally see. The attached example demonstrates that while users will only see upvote/downvote tallies, admins can see who actually performed those actions.

Edit: To clarify, not just YOUR instance admin gets this info. This is ANY instance admin across the Fediverse.

• giantshortfacedbear@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Is the poster’s IP address, system, or other system identifier/location, tracked?

If I have users giantshortfacedbear and throwaway123. Then it could be inferred or impled that they are same person if there are from the same IP or phone.

• Muddybulldog@mylemmy.winOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That information is not tracked in the application itself. A “home instance” admin could correlate their web access logs with the database to draw this kind of conclusion but it’s not federated info.

• Iceblade@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s good at least. This means that I only need to trust the host for my home instance keep my anonymity.

• Draconic NEO@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I believe that information isn’t sent over ActivityPub protocol so while the instance admins individually could see it, it isn’t federated data.

Though if account association by IP address is a concern for you then you should probably be using Tor to connect with your accounts.