I have a home server that I’m using and hosting files on it. I’m worried about it breaking and loosing access to the files. So what method do you use to backup everything?

• Jason@lemmy.weiser.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Proxmox Backup Server. It’s life-changing. I back up every night and I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve completely messed something up only to revert it in a matter of minutes to the nightly backup. You need a separate machine running it–something that kept me from doing it for the longest time–but it is 100% worth it.

I back that up to Backblaze B2 (using Duplicati currently, but I’m going to switch to Kopia), but thankfully I haven’t had to use that, yet.

• dustojnikhummer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

PBS backs up the host as well, right? Shame Veeam won’t add Proxmox support. I really only backup my VMs and some basic configs

• DemonSlayerB@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Veeam has been pretty good for my HyperV VMs, but I do wish I could find something a bit better. I’ve been hearing a lot about Proxmox lately. I wonder if it’s worth switching to. I’m a MS guy myself so I just used what I know.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

PBS only backs up the VMs and containers, not the host. That being said, the Proxmox host is super-easy to install and the VMs and containers all carry over, even if you, for example, botch an upgrade (ask me how I know…)

• dustojnikhummer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Then what’s the purpose over just setting up the built in snapshot backup tool, that unlike PBS can natively back up onto an SMB network share?

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I’m not super familiar with how snapshots work, but that seems like a good solution. As I remember, what pushed me to PBS was the ability to make incremental backups to keep them from eating up storage space, which I’m not sure is possible with just the snapshots in Proxmox. I could be wrong, though.