And what category does the PS2, Wii, Xbox, Nintendo DS/3DS fit into? They aren’t retro, but they’re not really “modern” either

Edit:sorry about posting 4 times, it kept telling me that it had a correction error

• ArugulaZ@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s where I currently draw the line. Unfortunately, there’s a perception that obsolete is not necessarily retro. Typically, a machine that was just abandoned (ie the Xbox One) is not considered fashionably retro… just old.

Things were a lot easier back in the 1990s where the line was more easily drawn. Everything before the video game crash was retro; everything after was modern. But time marched on and the 21st century arrived, and the rules changed. Now even game systems with polygons are retro! Now even game systems with hyper-realistic graphics, like the Xbox 360, are retro! I feel like Danny Glover. I’m getting too old to keep track of this shit.

• TwilightVulpine@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It still doesn’t feel like anything on the XBox 360 and maybe even the PS2 is retro in the same way that older games are retro. In the Xbox 360 era games had already settled into conventions we are using to this day.

Hell, GTA 5 and Skyrim have been released for the XBox 360 and they keep being rereleased remastered with no significant gameplay changes to this day.

But SNES? PS1? That’s a whole different world.